When it comes to commercial properties, the standard roofing systems on residential buildings simply don’t work. In most cases, your commercial roofing contractor will suggest flat or low-slope roofing options, since they are less complicated, easier to install, and have lower maintenance needs compared with their pitched counterparts. One of the best materials today for flat roofs is modified bitumen. This product was first used in Europe in the early 1960s and in the US in the mid-1970s, and remains a top choice for us here at Koziatek Contracting, Inc.
What is Modified Bitumen Roofing?
It is a modern take on the traditional built-up (tar-and-gravel) roofing, except it is made from asphalt, rubber and a collection of specially-formulated solvents to form polymer modified bitumen membranes. These are then rolled out in sheets and heat-sealed together, forming the roof’s strong and durable protective layer. There are two main types of modified bitumen membranes:
- Atactic Polypropylene (APP) – This is a thermoplastic polymer that is either torch-applied or heat-welded, which in turn gives the asphalt a plastic-like quality.
- Styrene Butadiene Styrene (SBS) – This type is applied using cold adhesive or hot asphalt moppings and conveys a rubber-like appearance.
Here at Koziatek Contracting, we pride ourselves on using only products that deliver superior protection and lasting value and that is why we install modified bitumen roofs. Their main benefits include:
- Longevity – Modified bitumen roofing can last up to 20 years or even more without significant maintenance.
- Strength – Thanks to its polymer modification, this material can withstand extreme temperatures, as well as impact damage from high foot traffic and the elements.
- Energy-efficient – The roof features an insulating layer to limit thermal exchange and can also be treated to add “cool” features such as solar reflectance. This means lower energy consumption since it reduces your property’s indoor cooling requirements.
- Waterproof – Bitumen is inherently waterproof, so installing several layers of it on a roof makes for one of the most waterproof commercial roofing choices today.
- Affordable – Compared with other commercial roofing options, modified bitumen is more cost-effective and offers great value for your money.
Need to Repair or Replace your Commercial Roof? Contact Us Today!
Let the professional roofers at Koziatek Contracting work with you today to install top of the line modified bitumen roofing for your commercial property. Give us a call at (314) 219-5688 or fill out our contact form. We will be happy to provide you with a FREE estimate.